Monday, January 2, 2012

Embracing The Monster Within Us As A Peaceful Warrior

Nearing the top of Camel's Hump December 25, 2010

Each year, about the time that winter starts to settle in and my regular jobs wrap up for the year, I am at a loss for what to do next.  AND then I recognize all the minutia that still needs to be dealt with.   How many of us get sick of doing the same task over and over again?  Most days we do these things because they just need to happen.  Meal planning, dishes, laundry, fire stoking, bills.  Some of us might enjoy these task.  And maybe on an upbeat day they don't phase me.  However, when I'm dealing with less daylight and we haven't quite made the transition into a real winter and  the onslaught of holiday food has taken hold,  I struggle with the monsters within. 


Camel's Hump is where
 Rob and I chose to get
married!
 In an effort to combat these monsters I  make promises, set high goals and quickly hit a brick wall.  Happy New Year, right? 

This year as I try to make friends with the darker time of the year I am reflecting on my accomplishments and taking time to recognize my strengths. And one of my strengths is my love for exploring nature through hiking. 

My partner and I have a few traditions that we've worked into our lives, and one of those is hiking on major holidays.  Whenever possible Christmas and Thanksgiving is celebrated on a mountain.  When I first met my husband, through a friend, we took the short walk up nearby Mount Philo and got acquainted.  As we continued our courtship we explored local  hikes:  Snake Mt, Camel's Hump, Mt Mansfield and several other peaks in the Southern part of the state where Rob had been residing. Going on seven years together, a constant in our lives is our love for hiking. It's taken us to rainforest, tropical islands and into desserts. 

Joshua Tree in California
Hiking is a metaphor for life for me.  So many experiences found on the trail I can relate back to my day to day existence and it gives me renewed energy.  Recently, we spent New Year's Day hiking up to Battell Mt in The Breadloaf Wilderness Area. 

Rob and I hiked  Catalina Island off
the coast of California
Rob and I drove to the trail in Ripton and noticed we were getting a late start.  Our morning had been spent dealing with a sick chicken and that minutia I mentioned earlier.  Rob had added water to the hot tub so we could return home and enjoy a soak after a day of hiking.  We neared our destination and realized the trail guide neglected to tell us that the road leading up to our planned hike was closed after Dec. 15th.  We would have to walk an additional 1.1 miles to get to the trail head. No big deal, we were planning on getting some exercise.  I worried how much time this would add to our outing.  We were expected somewhere later in the day and there was the worry of  loss of  daylight. 
Hiking in Costa
Rica, 2007

We walked on a snowmobile path that was a bit icy for the first leg of our journey.  Me grumbling, because it was an undesirable surface to walk upon.  The views along the way were beautiful and out of a foggy day came some blue sky, sure to cheer even the most glum person.  The hike provided multiple surprises.  Our journey wound us over roads, through fields, over water ways and into mystical mountain areas filled with ancient looking trees draped with moss.  As we neared our destination the temperature dropped and we noticed entire sides of trees were coated with unusual snow formations.  Treading to higher elevations my mole skin clad heels started to beat out a more cheerful mood.  I felt lighter and stronger, and a little exhausted! 

When we reached the lodge it was covered in snow and looked inviting, we walked in and were suprised to see that someone had left two unopened cans of beer on the cabin's table.  They had froze and exploded leaving the scent of poor quality beer stench in the close quarters.  It upset me that someone that would take the time to hike to such a beautiful place would be so rude, neglectful.  I tried to puzzle it out in my mind.  Did they think that they were leaving a gift to the next person that happened upon them, unaware that they would freeze and be of no use to the next person?  Was it laziness?  Had they intended to come back for them? 



Climbing the last bit to the summit on the
island  of  Saba
  We traversed higher up to the mountain summit and were temporarily lost because the trail became unclear and no other footsteps had passed this way since the newly fallen snow.  And HELLO, white hash marks marking the trails during the white of winter?  With some hunting and circling about we found the look out that told us we'd reached yet another summit.  Briefly we enjoyed our accomplishment and the views.  The fog that we'd been hiking in cleared for a brief moment and we turned the way in which we'd come.  As we descended the multiple layers of our upward journey, we visited each place with a fresh outlook and with the satisfying feeling that comes when a goal is reached.  What might have been a struggle on our upward climb filled us with feelings of joy and accomplishment as we passed back by. 


Skyline Lodge at Skylight Pond in the
Bread Loaf Wilderness
 With yet another gorgeous day spent out side I was able to witness the warrior in me combatting my inner monster.  That warrior knows that life is filled with bumps in the road, unexpected turns and late starts and up hill climbs filled with both surprises and disappointments.  

Happy New Year!
-From Chicken Hill Gardens

1 comment:

  1. Embracing the darkness is a challenge sometimes, especially for those of us who work outside. I appreciate reading how you are taming the monster within.

    ReplyDelete

Followers